Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Fajita Seasoning


I used to make fajitas all the time when I lived with N & E in our student days. I can't even remember what we did back then for fajita seasoning - I think it was circa the era in London where Old El Paso box sets were the only way to get taco shells and tortillas, so they probaby also came with a seasoning pack. Thank goodness things have moved along since then (though not to worry, those silly box sets are still available). 

Anyway. I did not buy a box set this time, so was lacking something to season the chicken with. The internet to the rescue, as usual - so here's a nifty little recipe that I adapted to fit what I already had in the house.

Fajita Seasoning
Adapted from Kathy at Food.com
Makes about 4 tablespoons

Ingredients


1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon crushed chicken bouillon cube (I used one cube)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (I used one clove of fresh garlic instead)
1/2 teaspoon cumin

 
Original recipe also called for onion powder, but I just cooked some onions to go with the fajitas, and cayenne pepper, which I just didn't have.

 
Method

 
Mix all ingredients together in a mortar and pestle, crushing the stock cube and garlic clove as you go.

 
Use in fajita recipes whereever it calls for seasoning (I think 1 tablespoon per 400-500g of meat is probably about right).

No comments:

Post a Comment