Monday, January 16, 2023

Turmeric Cashew Chicken

This sauce. This sauce! It is so easy and so delicious that I am slightly upset I only discovered this recipe in 2023.

I've tweaked it, obviously, as it didn't have enough delicious curry flavors the first time I made it, and I had more spices on hand that I thought would work, so I've noted what are additions from the original recipe. I'm also lazy, so skipped the step where you marinate chicken in chopped garlic and ginger, and instead just threw everything into the blended sauce. Trust me, you won't notice a difference.


Turmeric Cashew Chicken

Serves 4

Adapted from Bon Appetit January 2023 issue


Ingredients

2/3 cup raw cashews

5 garlic cloves

1 2" piece of ginger, roughly chopped (I leave the skin on too, after I wash the ginger)

1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (original recipe called for boneless skinless thighs, which is probably more delicious but not what I've been cooking with)

1 tsp kosher salt

2 red Thai chilies (or 1 jalapeno in original recipe)

2 tbsp lime juice

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 1/2 tsp turmeric (1/2 tsp in original recipe)

1 tsp garam masala (my addition)

3 big handfuls of baby spinach or kale (my addition)

Steamed rice, cilantro sprigs, and lime wedges (for serving)



Method

  1. Place cashews in a small bowl and pour in hot water to cover. Let sit until softened (you should be able to crush a nut easily between 2 fingers), 15-20 mins.
  2. Drain cashews and transfer to a blender. Add  garlic cloves, ginger, red Thai chilies2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice1 tsp. cumin seeds, 1 ½ tsp. ground turmeric, 1 tsp garam masala, ½ tsp. kosher salt, and 1½ cups water to blender and blend until smooth. Set cashew sauce aside.
  3. Heat 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook chicken, sprinkling with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, tossing occasionally, until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add reserved cashew sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 6 minutes.
  4. Add spinach or kale and stir to wilt completely, about 2 to 3 minutes.
  5. Divide steamed rice among shallow bowls and spoon cashew chicken over; top with cilantro sprigs. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.

No comments:

Post a Comment