Monday, August 30, 2010

2010 Jerk Chicken Cook-Off






Brockwell Park
London
SE24 9AE

I found out about the Jerk Chicken Cook-Off from 
Food Stories who has already written up a great review of this year's event. South London friends were quickly rounded up to join us so we could try as many versions of jerk chicken as possible.

I headed straight for Tasty Jerk, the winner of the last two cook-offs, and got a plate of jerk chicken along with a splodge of incredibly fiery chili sauce on the side. The chicken was moist, smoky and full of spices - and utterly addictive. It made me proud of
my own version of jerk chicken - I think I've managed to do a decent job of making it at home.

K ordered some jerk fish which came over rice and peas with a scoop of coleslaw on top. The fish was fantastic as well - I thought jerk spices might overpower fish but that is not the case. Her fish flaked right off the bones and K was happy to give me the fish head to gnaw on.

We tried jerk chicken from several other places but I gave Tasty Jerk my personal award for best chicken. Unfortunately I was too full to try the entire animal they were roasting (I think it was lamb) but that just means that we'll have to go back next year for more...


No comments:

Post a Comment