I am really loving cauliflower - especially roasted or in curries. It's really versatile and in curries, it soaks up all the flavors and just collapses into this amazing chunky texture. Here's a useful recipe that works well with frozen cauliflower as well.
Turmeric Cauliflower Curry
Adapted from Simply Recipes
800g cauliflower (fresh or frozen)
1 1/2 cups water
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 tsp red chili flakes
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons garam masala
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup frozen green peas
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup plain yogurt
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 limes, quartered, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the cauliflower and potatoes: Cut the potatoes into 1 1/2-inch cubes. To prepare the cauliflower, use a chef's knife to cut a deep cross into the base of the cauliflower. Place your thumbs into the crevice and pull the head apart into 4 quarters Stand each quarter upright, and slice off and discard the core and outer leaves. Break or cut the cauliflower into bite-size florets.
- Cook the potatoes and cauliflower: Carefully transfer the potatoes into the boiling water and cook for 4 minutes. Add the cauliflower and cook for 10 minutes longer, or until the vegetables are tender. (Total cooking time is 14 to 15 minutes) Drain into a colander.
- Make the curry sauce: In a blender or food processor, combine the water, onion, chili flakes, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, and salt. Puree until smooth.
- Cook the curry sauce: Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the sauce and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked cauliflower and potatoes. Taste and add more salt and garam masala, if you like.
- Finish the dish: Stir the peas and tomatoes into the pot. Heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until hot. Just before serving, stir in the yogurt and reheat gently (do not let it boil, or the yogurt may curdle.)
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.