Monday, February 07, 2011

Quinoa and Red Lentil Stew


A trip back to Austin meant that I came back with some odd food supplies in my suitcase, including quinoa. Seeing as how January always inspires me to try and eat a bit healthier, this recipe seemed perfect, especially when I found a half-empty bag of red lentils in the back of our cupboards. Since I wanted to finish the bag, I added more than the recipe calls for, but it gave the stew a nice body and texture - I've put the amount that I used in the recipe below since I liked it. This stew just gets better as it gets older - the flavors keep mingling and A was pleasantly surprised by how much he enjoyed this as leftovers.

Quinoa and Lentil Stew
Adapted from
Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood
Serves 4

Ingredients

2 Tbs. olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. chili flakes
1 Tbs. tomato paste
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup red lentils
5 cups vegetable stock (I used some pork stock)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
sea salt and black pepper, to taste

Method

1. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot with a lid. Add the onion and garlic and cook gently for several minutes, until translucent. Stir in the spices, tomato paste and then the carrots, and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.

2. Add the quinoa, lentils and vegetable stock, and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes, until quinoa and lentils are tender. Add the chopped bell pepper and simmer, uncovered, for another 5 minutes.

3. Remove stew from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and chopped coriander. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then season to taste and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment