Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tuna Crostini


So I admit that I probably chose the easiest recipe in Jason Atherton's Gourmet Food for a Fiver to try first. But come on, I'm no chef, and sometimes when I get home from work I just want to eat something quick and tasty. We should all be thankful that there even is an easy recipe in this book, seeing as how he's a Michelin-starred chef. The brilliant thing about this recipe though is that it is better than what I would normally make on a lazy night, without being any more difficult. I've mixed tuna, beans and parsley together before, but little extra touches like marinated artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes add bursts of additional flavor that make this really interesting to eat. I was also lucky in that I had some fresh seeded wholemeal bread at home, which made an excellent base for the crostini. While I ate my quick dinner, I read through the other recipes in the book, tabbing the ones that caught my eye, and now I've got loads more ideas to try...

Tuna Crostini
From Gourmet Food for a Fiver by Jason Atherton
Serves 4 as a starter or very light meal

Ingredients

100g tinned tuna in olive oil
6 marinated artichoke hearts, halved (I used a jar of marinated, quartered artichoke hearts)
150g tinned canneloni beans (I used a tin of borlotti beans that I already had)
2 tsp chopped parsley (I used a bit more, I love parsley)
2 tsp chopped shallots (I omitted due to miscalculations on how many shallots I had)
6 sun-blushed tomatoes, halved (I used jarred, sun-dried tomatoes)
4 slices of country bread (I used my seeded wholemeal bread)
4 tbsp Aioli (I omitted)
handful of rocket leaves
sea salt
olive oil, to drizzle (I didn't think it needed more as tuna, artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes were all packed in olive oil)

Method

Flake tuna into a bowl. Add artichoke hearts, beans, tomatoes, parsley and shallots and toss together.

Toast the bread.

Spread each slice of toast with aioli and place on serving plate. Pile tuna mixture on top and scatter over rocket leaves. Sprinkle with sea salt and add a generous drizzle of olive oil.

*Thanks to Quadrille for sending me a copy to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment