Thursday, September 03, 2009

Gingerbread Cake


Had F&A over for dinner last night and wanted to try making something new. We were having Chinese food so I was thinking about ginger-related desserts, and ended up finding Smitten Kitchen's recipe for Gramercy Tavern's gingerbread (I know, I know, that's not Asian at all). As is often the case, I ended up substituting a few things - a round cake pan for a bundt pan, black treacle for molasses, Meantime stout for Guinness, and allspice for the cloves and nutmeg. Also ended up using only 3/4c of sugar rather than 1 since that was all I had. And when I tested it after 50 minutes, it was still raw in the middle, so I ended up baking it for 65 minutes, which resulted in a wonderfully dense and moist spicy cake. Served with some Greek yogurt, it got thumbs up from the testers. Very easy to make, as long as you don't use an electric whisk and splatter treacle all over your kitchen!

1 comment: