Friday, May 28, 2010

Boscobel Beach Ginger Cake


I love anything with ginger - the stronger the ginger flavor, the better. My brother recently gave me a bundt cake pan for my birthday so once I saw this recipe I knew it would be a good way to break in the new pan. Because of my love for ginger, I doubled the amount of fresh ginger in the recipe, which worked well - the cake was moist and very gingery, and disappeared quickly alongside some custard. The funny looking spots above are from the molasses sugar, which I was trying to use up - next time I will stick to all brown sugar and the cake should lose its leopard spots.

Boscobel Beach Ginger Cake
Adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredients

1 cup (225g) butter
1 cup packed molasses sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup grated fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Method

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch Bundt pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the grated ginger root and vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a serving plate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment