Saturday, May 01, 2010

Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter


I kept seeing recipes for tomato sauce made with just tomatoes, onion and butter. LOTS OF BUTTER. Finally I couldn't resist and had to try it out, and am so glad I did - never thought three ingredients could come together so magically. I messed with this recipe the first time and added red wine because there was some that needed using, but next time I will definitely just go with the untouched recipe. I threw some grilled artichokes on top and it made for an incredibly satisfying dinner.
Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter 
recipe adapted from Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan
2 400g cans chopped tomatoes
5 tablespoons salted butter
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and halved

Heat a heavy, medium saucepan over medium heat. Add all of the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low to keep a steady simmer. Cook for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally. Discard the onion. Serve over cooked pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment