Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Panna Cotta


There was leftover cream sitting in the fridge and I wanted to find a way to use it up. Since I was bringing dessert to a friend's house, I came up with panna cotta, one of my favorite desserts, and looked up several recipes online. It is super easy to make - and though mine is certainly the low-fat version since I only had skimmed milk and single cream, it still tasted rich and lovely. I think next time I would make sure to infuse the mixture with the vanilla pod for longer to get a stronger vanilla taste. The small amount of sugar works here though, as the final product isn't too sweet. My unmolding process went a little wonky, as evidenced by the picture above, but the wobbly softness of vanilla cream made up for it.

Vanilla Panna Cotta
Adapted from BBC Food

Ingredients:

3 gelatine leaves
350ml skimmed milk
150ml single cream
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways, seeds scraped out
25g sugar

Method:

1. Soak the gelatine leaves in a little cold water until soft.

2. Place the milk, cream, vanilla pod and seeds and sugar into a pan and bring to a simmer. Remove the vanilla pod and discard.

3. Squeeze the water out of the gelatine leaves, then add to the pan and take off the heat. Stir until the gelatine has dissolved.

4. Divide the mixture among four ramekins and leave to cool. Place into the fridge for at least an hour, until set.

5. To serve, turn each panna cotta out onto a serving plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment