Friday, April 30, 2010

The Royal Standard



1 St. Peters Hill
Flushing, Falmouth
TR11 5TB

A gloriously sunny weekend in Cornwall was capped off by a great dinner at The Royal Standard, a pub with views of the sea and fantastic, reasonably priced pub food. The menu changes daily and is put up on a chalk board by the fireplace. To start, A and I shared the broccoli, cauliflower and Stilton soup. Surprisingly, I loved this - I usually hate anything with blue cheese in it. The Stilton was so subtle though that I slurped down quite a bit of the soup - it was silky and full of broccoli flavor. For mains, I ordered the fish and chips and A had beef lasagne. The fish was cooked perfectly - fresh, flaky fish within a crisp beer batter was accompanied by a delightful homemade tartar sauce full of dill and capers. Chips were golden and crunchy on the outside and fluffy within. A's lasagne was hearty and beefy and everything you could wish for on a chilly evening. All in all, one of my favorite meals out in Cornwall - I will definitely be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment