Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Fassbender


Obenmarspforten 7
50667 Köln

We happened to wander by this place and the lime-green display windows full of pastries and chocolates caught my eye. We walked in, thinking we'd have a quick look to see if there was anything that particularly cried out "Eat me!" and of course, as soon as A saw the cheesecake, he was a goner. We snagged a great table in a room that reminded me of the grand hotel tea rooms of London, and quickly settled on cheesecake along with hot chocolate and coffee. The cheesecake was nothing like A's Platonic ideal of a bricklike New York-style cheesecake, but it was delicious in its own right. If I had to guess, I'd say it was made of ricotta and it had a light citrusy tang to it. There were nutty chunks in the crust, probably hazlenuts, and a very thin layer of lemony glaze on top. Everything else in the display case looked so lovely that I'd be happy to spend a gluttonous day trying a little bit of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment