Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Cafe Luc


50 Marylebone High Street
London
W1U 5HN

Cafe Luc 
is a beautiful little brasserie in Marylebone – A and I were enticed by their set menu, three courses for £15.50, and decided to pass up a meal at Le Relais in order to try it out. Inside, the décor is luxurious but not too stuffy – I liked the little clusters of black lampshades on the walls. For starters, I had the confit duck and foie gras terrine – I’m not the biggest fan of foie gras but it worked in this dish, mingled with the nuggets of delectable duck. A enjoyed his smoked salmon served on a crumpet with a quenelle of crème fraiche on top. Our mains of steak and chips were perfectly cooked to medium rare, with crisp, skin-on chips served in generous bowlfuls alongside. The real stunner was dessert, though – the tiramisu was terrible, with a strange lemony taste, but the Nutella crème brulée was incredible – a vast saucer of creamy, chocolatey, nutty goodness with a crackling sugar shell. This menu is great value and we had a really lovely evening there – I will be back the next time I’d like a bit of luxury at not-so luxurious prices.

1 comment: