Thursday, October 22, 2009

Green tomato and corn pancakes


So my little tomato plant in the backyard attempted to put out a bunch of cherry tomatoes right before it got really cold here and I couldn't make myself throw them out just because they were green and weren't ever going to ripen, so thank goodness for the internet. Looking at the recipes that came up when I searched for "green tomato recipes", it seems like the common usage for them is chutney. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of chutney and also can't be bothered to can things, so I settled on the only recipe that looked appetizing to me - one for tomato fritters. Now that I'm looking at the recipe again, there's nothing that says you're supposed to use green tomatoes, so hmm... whatever, they tasted fine - green tomatoes are just really tart, so it was nice to have the contrast of the sweet corn. I mostly wanted these to be vegetables bound together with the tiniest amount of batter, so I didn't really follow the recipe and made a lot of tweaks, and they turned out more like pancakes:

Chop green cherry tomatoes into small pieces. Put them in a large bowl and add an equal volume of frozen corn kernels (I probably had 3/4 cup of each). Add one beaten egg, 1/3 c of milk, and enough flour to turn the mixture into what looks like thin pancake batter. Salt and pepper the mixture to taste. Heat a pan over medium heat with a bit of oil (or non-stick cooking spray, in my case) and scoop in enough batter to make a small pancake. Flip when the underside is brown - it's ready when both sides have browned and it holds together well. I pressed down on the pancakes after I flipped them to make sure the other side got a nice crust as well. Makes a nice light dinner served with a salad on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment