Thursday, October 22, 2009

Roasted chickpeas


I was looking for a healthy crunchy snack and was inspired by this post - I then checked other recipes here and here to get some more ideas on what to do and it all looked super easy, so I jumped right in. This is actually the second time I made them - the first time I put them on a baking sheet like other people did but the chickpeas kept popping and flying off the sheet, which resulted in burnt chickpeas all over the oven. So today I reevaluated the baking vessel and went with a Dutch oven instead (without the lid) so that the high sides would prevent the chickpeas from making suicidal leaps into the oven. A couple of additional tweaks were the addition of paprika and lemon juice, and a much longer cooking time since I think the Dutch oven prevented the chickpeas from roasting as quickly as they did last time. Anyway, vague instructions below.

Open two cans of chickpeas and rinse and drain thoroughly. Put chickpeas in Dutch oven with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of cumin, 1/2 tablespoon of paprika, lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon and generous amounts of salt. Stir to coat chickpeas and then put in 250 degree oven. Let roast for 30 minutes, then check and stir every 5-10 minutes afterwards. Once the chickpeas are crunchy, they're done. Add more spices and salt if you'd like the taste to be stronger (I didn't bother). Completely addictive!

P.S. Has anyone noticed that chickpeas in cans here are much smaller than the ones in the U.S.? No idea why.

No comments:

Post a Comment