Thursday, March 25, 2010

Healthy Veggie Soup


I was feeling slightly vegetable-deprived lately and also needed to free up some space in the freezer, so I pulled out a couple of quarts of chicken/duck stock that I had made a few weeks ago. I was hoping to make something with a light broth, so I just started cutting up whatever vegetables I could find in the fridge. The end result was surprisingly enjoyable, which is why I'm putting up a post on something so simple - I'd actually like to remember how to recreate this!

Healthy Veggie Soup

Ingredients

1 medium onion

3 carrots
2 stalks of celery
4 courgettes
1 tin of borlotti beans
1 tin of canellini beans
2 quarts of chicken stock (I had 1 quart chicken, 1 quart duck)
1 tablespoon gently crushed peppercorns
olive oil

Method

Dice onion, carrots, celery and courgettes into bean-sized pieces. In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, gently cook the onions in some olive oil over low heat until they turn translucent. Add carrots, celery and courgettes and cook for a few minutes. Add chicken stock and both tins of beans, and bring to a simmer. Add salt to taste and the peppercorns and keep simmering soup until all vegetables are tender. Serve with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment