Monday, March 15, 2010

Treacle Tart


I must admit, this is another one of those British desserts that I found a bit horrifying to start with - I had my first taste at a bakery in Crouch End and it was just so much sugar in one bite that it made my whole mouth cloyingly sweet and I felt like my teeth were rotting while eating it. Fastforward several years to a party A and I are attempting to throw in honor of St. Piran, the patron saint of Cornwall. Most of the Cornish dessert options seemed to involve a lot of dried fruit. Treacle tart to the rescue - easy to make, simple ingredients, and perfect with some Cornish clotted cream. Though as you can see from the picture above, perhaps something was slightly off - it was chewier than expected and very dense. Maybe more golden syrup next time?


Treacle Tart
Adapted from BBC Food

Ingredients

250g shortcrust pastry
135g golden syrup
125g fresh white breadcrumbs
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp ground ginger

Method

1. Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 25cm/10in pie plate or flan tin.
2. Warm the syrup over a gentle heat and add the breadcrumbs, grated lemon rind and 1 tbsp of the lemon juice, and the ginger. Pour into the pastry case.
3. Bake in the oven at 190C/375F/Gas 5 for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment