Monday, January 18, 2010

Blueberry Muffins



I pinched this recipe off of Waitrose and modified it a bit to fit what I had on hand. Since I was subbing dried blueberries for fresh, I reduced the sugar content by 1/3 since dried blueberries have sugar in them already. I also used 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and then topped off with milk to make approximately 284ml of buttermilk substitute. The texture of these is a bit cake-like, I probably need to experiment some more to get a finer-crumbed muffin.

Ingredients


250g plain white flour
2 heaped tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
50g sugar
1 medium egg, beaten
1 x 284ml carton buttermilk
80g butter, melted
130g dried blueberries

Method


Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and grease a 12-muffin tray.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar. In a large jug, mix the egg, buttermilk and butter.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined, then gently fold in the blueberries, using just a few strokes.
Spoon into the cake cases and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and firm. Transfer to a cooling rack. Eat slightly warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment