Monday, January 25, 2010

The Northgate



113 Southgate Road
London, N1 3JS

Time for dinner and drinks with our neighbor so the neighborhood pub seemed appropriate. The Northgate came recommended by the previous occupiers of our flat, but we still hadn't visited it for food. I was pleasantly surprised that the chalkboard menu changes every day to reflect what the chef wants to make. To start, I had the mussels in a bacon and cream sauce, and A ordered the French onion soup. Both were delicious, though I preferred my giant pile of mussels which were full of flavor and very fresh. We both had a warm salad of grilled merguez sausage, new potatoes and green beans off the starter menu as our main instead - again, all of the ingredients seemed to be high quality and we polished off every bite. My one quibble is that it is just pricey enough that I wouldn't go regularly, unless I wasn't too hungry and could make do with one starter as my meal. Starters were 5 or 6 quid, which is reasonable, but mains were mostly 14 and up, except for the veggie options at 10 quid. Still, when we want a little treat, nice to know it is close by and serves good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment