Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Brett's Baked Cheesecake


*Guest post by Andy*

I've always liked cheesecake, but since I tried the New York variety for the first time a few short years ago my fondness has developed into more of a fixation. I remember being blown away by the sheer density of the thing, which left the inferior English version, on which I was raised, resembling gelatinous infant food. Since then it's been baked or nothing. I know it's bad for you, which probably adds to the appeal, but there's something irresistible about that contrast/balance between sweet and cheese, fluffy filling and biscuit base. One of my favourite things, when I'm lucky enough to visit New York, is to head to Junior's in Grand Central Station for a cup of coffee and an unseemly large slice of their plain cheesecake. But for the rest of the time I turn to my friend Brett, who manages to combine exquisite baking with a prodigious, almost industrial, production rate. Which is why over the past couple of years I must have sampled at least nine of his baked cheesecakes, at dinners, parties and picnics, and variously featuring chocolate, berries, and even a kiwi fruit. Last weekend it was lemon and raspberry, and it tasted damn fine as usual, even though I probably prefer plain. A recipe request for blogging purposes, however, was not forthcoming. Rest assured I shall not rest until the secret's out.

Update: The recipe has been revealed!

Ingredients

For Base:
200g crushed (in a food processor) digestives
100g melted butter

For Cheesecake Filling:
400-500g full fat soft cheese
250g marscapone
2 eggs
8oz caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Directions:

Mix digestives and butter together to make the base and press into the base of your springform tin to form an even layer. Put it in the fridge to chill and firm up.

Then make the filling. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly with a whisk until all the lumps have gone. Then pour it on top of the base and put it in the oven at 190C for an hour. You can add lemon or lime to the cheese mix if you like, and top with whatever you like afterwards.






No comments:

Post a Comment